Thursday, August 27, 2026

Half Marathon Workout Paces

I've been thinking mt training pace has been too one dimensional; one speed. I go and run at whatever pace I am able and that's it; never faster, never slower. Not fast enough to build speed and not slow enough to build endurance.

For this weekend's RMRR Event, 10 miler, I will target 10:00 minute miles.

2026 Walker Coach Workbook see Zones Tab

To run a half marathon in under 2 hours, your target race pace is 9:09 per mile.

Target Training Paces

Your training schedule uses different speeds for different types of runs to build speed and endurance safely:

  • Easy / Recovery Runs: 11:00 
    • RPE 2-3
    • 10:28–11:16 per mile. 
    • Use these slow paces for most of your weekly miles so your body can rest and recover.
  • Long Runs: 10:00 
    • RPE 4-5
    • 9:40–10:43 per mile. 
    • Build your long weekend runs up to 10–12 miles at a comfortable, steady conversational pace.
  • Tempo / Threshold Runs: < 9:30 
    • RPE 6-7
    • 9:15–9:23 per mile. 
    • Run 15 to 20 minutes at this slightly hard pace during mid-week workouts to teach your body to handle fatigue.
  • Interval Workouts: < 9:00 RPE 
    • RPE 8-9
    • 8:35–8:51 per mile. 
    • Run short, fast repeats 
      • 1000 meters hard with 90 seconds of walking or slow jogging in between to boost your overall speed.


No comments:

Post a Comment