Wednesday, August 12, 2026

which muscles absorb road shock when running


I've been told i have weak glutes and quads. I read recently knee pain results when the quads can no longer absorb the repetitive shock of running.

I state: knee and joint pain results from the quads no longer able to absorb shock

G: You are entirely correct. When your quadriceps fatigue or lack the necessary strength, they lose their ability to act as your body's primary shock-absorbing spring. As a result, the massive braking forces from running bypass the muscle tissue and slam directly into your patellofemoral joint and cartilage, frequently causing knee pain.

Primarily 

How Weak Quads Hurt Your Knees

  • Mechanical Overload: Healthy quads absorb vertical impact; tired quads transfer that raw force directly into your knee joints and bones.

I'm ok at the swim, bike, run routine when necessary but not ok at the warm up, stretching, cool down, strength work part of training. It's time to address this shortcoming.

I ask: which muscles absorb road shock when running

G: When your foot strikes the ground while running, your lower body acts as a spring system. The primary muscles that absorb road shock are the quadriceps at the front of the thighs, the calf muscles (soleus and gastrocnemius), and the glutes, which contract while lengthening to safely decelerate your body weight.

Key Shock-Absorbing Muscles

  • Quadriceps: Handle heavy braking forces and control knee bending upon landing.
  • Calves (Soleus & Gastrocnemius): Absorb massive impact forces (up to 8 times your body weight on the soleus) while storing and releasing spring energy.
  • Glutes (Gluteus Maximus & Medius): Stabilize your pelvis and absorb downward vertical force during the initial foot strike.
  • Hamstrings: Work right before foot strike to slow down your lower leg as it swings forward.
Here's a couple workouts I found on YouTube 

No comments:

Post a Comment