Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Ironman Wisconsin 2015




Ironman Wisconsin (IMOO) 2015 Finisher 13:03:35

Couch to Ironman in Four Years.

Devils Lake Challenge completed Sunday September 20, 2015.
As this was the site of my first triathlon in 2012 is stands as a reasonable comparison of improvement over time. The course has changed from year to year. In 2012 the lake was very shallow due to the excessive heat and the swim may have been 200 yards. The bike course has changed. The run course seems to have been the same.



2012 age 53 172 of 342 = 51%  (males in all age groups)
2013 age 54   60 of 212 = 32%
2014 age 55   36 of 207 = 17% (55-59 age group 1st)
2015 age 56   28 of 199 = 14% (55-59 age group 1st)

Where it all began - January 1, 2012 Chris and I embarked on the Beach Body Insanity program. My initial body weight was 194 pounds with 29% fat. Yikes At the end of the 60 day program I weighed 165 pounds with 17% body fat. I ran Racine 70.3 in 2014 at that weight and felt 'heavy'. I began my training for 2015 with Insanity Max 30 and raced at 160 pounds with 16% fat. I weighed 154 the morning after Ironman. Important to the success of Insanity is a more disciplined diet. I have Michi's ladder taped to my refrigerator (tiers one and two only). I've modified my eating habits. Not too much red meat, very little fried food, few chips and virtually no carbonated soft drinks. The first 'coke' I've had since 2012 was at a 2015 Aquathon and worth 90 seconds off my time. I did utilize 'flat' cola at the water stations at Ironman.

After Insanity we looked to other things to do. I had walked Syttende Mai years ago and signed up to do the ten mile run. I have never been a "runner". With no experience nor reference point  I was expecting 10 minute miles. I finished with an 8:12 pace. A month later I ran the Madison Half Marathon and three months later the Madison Mini Marathon at a 7:34 pace.

In September 2012 Chris and I ended up in Belleville spectating at the Sugar River Triathlon. I decided I would like to try that. I went to Endurance House, bought a wet suit and signed up for the Devil's Lake triathlon. I had never experienced 'open water' swimming. I neglected to breathe correctly, hyperventilated and backstroked.

That winter I took triathlon 'classes' and participated in their indoor triathlon series primarily to improve upon my swimming. I subsequently signed up for 'Masters Swimming' enduring the 5AM winter chill Tuesdays and Thursdays. The coach never cared for my reluctance to swim butterfly and was less than impressed with my breast stroke, butterfly kick.

I added the Monona 20K and Wisconsin Tri Series to my 2013 calendar. It was during these races I began noticing the different triathlon clubs, the uniforms and the camaraderie. Although quite an individual sport at it core, I've benefitted greatly from coaches, managers, teammates, and fans. 'Thumbs up' signs at races, friendly competition, and encouragement have all been welcome and appreciated. In 2014 Chris and I joined the Prairie Athletic Club Tri Team as social members.

I purchased a Quintana Roo Seduza in September. The extra 2mph downhill, 1mph on the flats, and aero position made a big difference. I was no longer at a mechanical disadvantage.

My "A Race" for 2014 was Ironman Racine 70.3. At the conclusion of what was a difficult day I said 'I'm satisfied, I need to do no more'. Two months later we volunteered at an IMOO run station and shortly thereafter I signed up for the 2015 Racine / IMOO combination package.

In October 2014 I signed up for the Haunted Hustle Marathon, my first. I had recently read a book describing running by 'feel' and elected to give it a go. Although I wore a watch I did not look at it and finished at 3:40:28 missing a Boston Marathon Qualifier by 28 seconds.

In December 2014 Chris and I attended a 'Total Immersion" workshop in Minneapolis. I am a land based Triathlete only coming to swim to do triathlons. The TI methodology works on vessel shape as opposed to 'working out'. And while I am still 'slow' I am no longer 'winded'. Another 'AHA' moment was the Lake Mills morning swims. I heard "it made me stronger, not necessarily faster" at the 'PAC team beginning of the year meeting. Being comfortable in the water became a significant competitive advantage for me.

I designated three "A Races" in 2015 - IM Racine 70.3, IMOO 140.6 and the Haunted Hustle marathon. I also continued the Wisconsin Triathlon Series, Madison Aquathon Series, and several of the past distance running events.

My training calendar started in December with 60 days of Insanity Max 30. Again, my weight went to 160 with 16% fat, plus or minus two pounds. I weigh myself most every day. I track all of my workouts in minutes on a standard desk calendar. I also kept a spreadsheet of minutes and hours working out. I averaged 12-13 hours per week, peaking at 15+ during the weeks with 5+ hour bike rides. Ideally, I would have two 45-60 minute workouts per day; before and after work. On the weekends, the longer sustained efforts.

My base training was stationary bicycle in the basement, elliptical at the gym, and lap swimming. I continued my indoor training straight through race day.

IM Racine 70.3 produced a surprise as I finished 6th out of 60 in the 55-59 age group which qualified me for the USAT Olympic Nationals. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience highlighted by attending the Mark Allen 'reminiscing' clinic structured around tales of racing with Dave Scott.

The Madison Half Marathon also produced a pleasing 5th place age group finish.

I had projected 14 hours for IMOO. Swim two hours. Bike seven hours, Run five hours. Hoping to finish in the 13 hour range, 13:03 was a thrill. I visualized many times crossing the finishing line while running and ellipticizing and pictured riding though the crowds lining the bike route hills virtually on every pass. The race could not have gone much better than I had planned. The weather was near perfect, I experienced no mechanical or technical malfunction, and there were no mental or physical breakdowns.

My strategy was to exit the swim in a rested state, take a casual bicycle ride and follow that up with  a marathon. I positioned myself near the back of the pack and in shallow water for the swim. I avoided much of the contact that one can experience and each time I felt the anxiety of traffic or contact rising tried to return to a peaceful state. I did 'moo' around the first corner, it was really odd sounding.

Wet suit stripping is a 'hoot' and running up the helix was cool. Save for seeing Chris and Amanda it was mostly a blur of people. Transitions are somewhat chaotic as you don't have a 'spot' but need to find a chair amongst the crowd of people.

The bike ride went far faster than I expected. My heart rate averaged 138 and my cadence 86 both of which were pleasing numbers. Riding through the crowds on the three 'hills' and downtown Verona was exhilarating.

I utilized an XLAB Torpedo water bottle, and a two bottle behind the seat carrier, one was a 50% EFS Gel / 50% water bottle and I picked up a Gatorade Endurance bottle at the first station. My plan was to not drink any fluid unless I was also consuming calories. This at a rate of 200 calories per hour. I picked up a second EFS bottle in my special needs bag.

Near the end of the bike ride the thought "I could just not start the run" crossed my mind and that was the only near negative thought I had all day.

I put on my Polar M400 watch at the beginning of the run and compression leg sleeves. I purchased that watch primarily for the 'race finish estimator'. While it did post heart rate and splits, my primary motive was to avoid doing math in my head. A glance at the RFE told me I was consistently around 4:55 marathon pace. I did notice the race time was 8:08 when I left T2 so I knew sub 13 was a possibility.

I ran the first 13 miles non-stop. I modified my routine for the second half. I walked through the stations. First I would ask to have a cup of water poured in to my hat. I pulled my race number belt high on my chest and dumped half a cup of ice down the front of my jersey and a half down the back. I would then get a water and a flat cola, mix them together in to whatever tasted palatable, and took off running. I negative split the last eight miles. My heart rate averaged 134.

The last portion of the race down State Street I ran in the center of the road. I really wanted to 'Go Pre' and "finish strong". I had high fived, low fived and pressed many 'power up' signs earlier in the race and I really enjoyed running hard to end the race. Again, the finish chute was a blur, it was very loud, and I recall the "You Are an Ironman" announcement. The arms raised finish was better than any of the ones I had pictured in my mind over the previous twelve months.



I'm asked what do you like best? Swim, Bike, Run? Swimming has been the most gratifying as I feel I have made the most improvement there. Biking has been the most exhilarating, it feels most like a 'race' with the constant changing of the gears and speed. And running has been the most surprising as I never really cared for running and it may be my strongest discipline.

I share with the non-initiated: "I'm an average swimmer, biker, and runner which makes me a slightly above average triathlete".

Do it again? Yes. Next year? No. It took a lot of time preparing. The opportunity costs were canoe, kayak, camping, fishing and other trips and outings. IMOO is signed with WTC through 2018 I 'age up' in 2019. In 2016,  I see High Cliff, Racine, Wisconsin Tri Series, Madison Aquathon Series, and the 'usual' running events. I think Ill throw in an XTERRA event and the Devils Lake Off Road Triathlon. And volunteer at IMOO just in case...


Kris Walker

Overall Rank: 990
Div Rank: 23
Gender Rank: 815

General Info
BIB2944
Division55-59
Age56
StateWI
CountryUSA
Profession---
Points3489
Race Summary
Swim01:28:28
Bike06:17:37
Run04:54:46
Overall13:03:35
SWIM DETAILS | Division Rank: 63
Split NameDistanceSplit TimeRace TimePaceDivision RankGender RankOverall Rank
Total2.4 mi01:28:2801:28:2802:17/100m6313751813
BIKE DETAILS | Division Rank: 27
Split NameDistanceSplit TimeRace TimePaceDivision RankGender RankOverall Rank
Total112 mi06:17:3707:59:3917.80 mph278621020
RUN DETAILS | Division Rank: 23
Split NameDistanceSplit TimeRace TimePaceDivision RankGender RankOverall Rank
Total26.2 mi04:54:4613:03:3511:15/mi23815990
Transition Details
T1: Swim-to-bike00:13:34
T2: Bike-to-run00:09:10

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman/wisconsin/results.aspx#ixzz3meE5krGo







No comments:

Post a Comment